Orsha Linen Mill is the only enterprise in Belarus producing linen fabrics and the biggest among CIS and European countries. Its story began in December 1930 with a small hackling factory. The construction project was developed in 1928-1930 by the architects A.Fissenko and I.Nikolayev. Lots of domestic raw material sources was an advantage for foundation and further development of the company.
In 1937 spinning, weaving, finishing departments and service facilities of the 1st factory were built.
In 1961 hackling, spinning, weaving and bleaching machines began their production at the 2d factory, where household linen are manufactured.
The third factory started its work in 1972. New hackling, spinning and weaving equipment made it possible to produce fine household fabrics of high quality. Since that year each of the three factories has been operating as a separate textile plant, at the same time being a small part of the large enterprise. In 1973 Orsha Linen Mill merged with a flax plant Dnepr, producing carpet yarns.
THE NEWEST EQUIPMENT
Today Linen Mill area occupies 47 acres; In 2008, the plant provides 8% of the world market of linen fabrics. 70% of production is exported flax, consumers goods represent 50 different countries. The production employs more than five thousand workers per year processed 25 thousand tons of flax fiber.
During the change of the plant took place, and the improvement of its management structure. The enterprise 5 plants:
1st – for the production of packaging tissues of short flax fiber
2nd and 3rd – for the production of yarn and severity of long flax fiber
finishing factory – home of finished fabrics
and a private garment factory.
All factories include conjugated and located on a single production areas lnochesalnye, spinning, weaving and finishing production. Enterprise status – Republican unitary production and trade company. “Orsha Linen Mill” is a part of the Belarusian State Concern for production and sale of goods of light industry of the Republic of Belarus (“Bellegprom”). Management now provides the CEO.
History Orsha Linen Mill is associated with the names of its first directors – Lipchuk, Negnevitsky, goat parents.
In May 1941, the plant was headed by Georgy Semyonov, who led a total of now 30 years old (except for the period 1955-1956, GG, when he was deputy minister of textile industry BSSR).
On 10 August 1972 the Director of Orsha Linen Mill Order of Lenin,
and from February 12, 1976, the General Director is Vladimir Petrovich Lahtin.
From October 1976 to March 1988 CEO of the company was Vasily Y. Melnikov.
From 1988 to 1996, he led by Flax Georgy Kokorek.
From 19 April 1996 to 21 May 2007 General Director Valery K. Shatkov.
In the period from 22 May 2007 to 5 June 2009, the company led by Viktor Gavrilenko.
June 5, 2009 was appointed general director Vladimir Nesterenko.
CHRONICLE OF KEY EVENTS
1930 – The first production of the newly built factory lnochesalnoy.
May 1941 – the company was headed by Georgy Semenov, future Hero of Socialist Labour, Honorary Citizen of the city of Orsha.
June 1, 1966 – “Orsha Linen Mill” was awarded the country’s highest award – the Order of Lenin.
1998 – Flax named winner of “Best Exporter of the Republic of Belarus.”
2002 – Flax awarded the diploma “The Best Exporter of the Year.”The same team was awarded prizes in 2003. Exports reached 83.4 percent of the total production of household textiles.
March 2012 – Flax received for their products international certificate of compliance with environmental requirements of Oeko-Tex Standart 100.
2013 – the company declared the winner of the competition for the Prize of the Government of the Republic of Belarus for achievements in the field of quality in 2012.